Monday, February 16, 2009
Project Sketch: A Metamorphosis
1. What defining moment in your life led to a personal metamorphosis?
2. How can you effectively communicate your metamorphosis using symbolic language, graphics, music and voice to others in the class and interested people in the larger community?
3. As a result of your metamorphosis what did you learn and how does this connect to themes in Kafka's work?
4. As a result of your project, what did you learn about effective communication?
Students in my ELW (English Language Workshop) have studied Metamorphosis by Frank Kafka in graphic novel form adapted by Peter Kuper. An analysis of the text, visuals and literary devices has allowed students to uncover the universal themes. the novella models a sincere expression of personal identity, so in response to this novella, students will communicate their own personal metamorphosis using symbolic language, metaphor, or motif to show connections to the themes in the novella. Students will create and narrate a digital story using PhotoStory 3. They will use their voices effectively to communicate a change in their own identity. They will consider the emotional impact of the story when selecting graphics and music from a variety of websites or they can create their own art which will be scanned into the story frames. The stories will be made available to all other students for viewing and comment in the class on the ELW wetpaint site and students will be encouraged to post them on utube. Students will write a reflection at the end of the project.
Outcomes, understandings and skills: The Project would address Student NET Standards
1. Creativity and Innovation (Bloom's Creating ex. design principals)
a. Create original works as a means of personal or group expression.
2. Communication and Collaboration
a. Communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences using a variety of digital environments and media.
3. Technology Operations and Concepts
a. Select and use applications effectively and productively
The Project would address Teacher NET Standards
1. Facilitate and Inspire Students Learning and Creativity
2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
3. Model Digital-age Working Learning
4. Engage in Professional Growth and Leadership
1. Psychomotor - perception
2. Affective - understand one's own feelings and express them to the viewer
Understanding and Analyzing the Text
Applying understandings to original oral and written text, images, and music.
Creating original oral and written text, images, and music.